The application window for 2020 will open June 1 and close June 30.
Due to the 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic and the soft closure of schools a video will not be required as part of the 2020-2021 application process. Individuals who have a video of their instruction, including videos used for online instruction, are encouraged to submit them as evidence of their mastery of instructional techniques, however, they will not be a minimum requirement for this cohort of applicants.
Idaho Code §33-1004I establishes a Master Educator Premium and the minimum requirements for eligibility. To be eligible for the Master Educator Premium an individual must:
- be employed as a certificated instructional staff member or pupil service staff member in an Idaho public school,
- have eight (8) or more years of teaching experience, or experience in a pupil service position, provided that the three (3) years immediately preceding the award must be continuous and in Idaho. The remainder of the teaching experience making up the eight (8) years must have been earned in Idaho or in a compact-member state pursuant to Section 33-4101, Idaho Code;
- be able to demonstrate mastery of instructional techniques for no fewer than three (3) of the previous five (5) years of instruction through:
- Artifacts demonstrating evidence of effective teaching; and
- Successful completion of an annual individualized professional learning plan; and
Additionally, as applicable to the type of certification:
- A majority of an instructional staff employee’s students must meet measurable student achievement as defined in Section 33-1001, Idaho Code, for no fewer than three (3) of the previous five (5) years.
- A majority of a pupil service staff employee’s students must meet measurable student achievement or measurable student success indicators, as defined in Section 33-1001, Idaho Code, for no fewer than three (3) of the previous five (5) years.
The State Board of Education as approved five standards for showing mastery of instructional techniques and professional practice. These standards were developed by a group of Idaho educators. To meet the statutory requirement of showing mastery of instructional techniques and professional practice in three (3) of the previous five (5) years an individual must meet all of the standards in at least three distinct years.