The Instruction, Research and Student Affairs Committee is composed of two or more members of the Board, appointed by the president of the Board, who designates one member to serve as chairperson and spokesperson of the committee, and is staffed by the Board’s Chief Academic Officer. The Instruction, Research and Student Affairs Committee may appoint a working unit or units, as necessary, to advise the committee. One such working unit shall be the Council on Academic Affairs and Programs (CAAP), which shall be composed of the Board’s Chief Academic Officer and the chief academic officers of the institutions and agencies. The chairperson presents all committee and working group recommendations to the Board.
Responsibilities and Procedures
The Instruction, Research and Student Affairs Committee is responsible for making recommendations to the Board in the following general areas:
- Agency and institutional instruction, research and student affairs agenda items;
- Instruction, academic or professional – technical program approval;
- Instruction, academic or professional – technical program review, consolidation, modification, and discontinuance, and course offerings;
- Outreach, technology and distant learning impacting programs and their delivery;
- Long-range instruction, academic and professional-technical planning;
- Registration of out-of-state institutions offering programs or courses in Idaho;
- Continuing education, professional development, workforce training, programs for at-risk populations, career guidance;
- Student organizations’ activities and issues; and
- Other matters as assigned by the Board.
The Instruction, Research and Student Affairs Committee may establish necessary procedures to carry out its responsibilities. Such procedures must be consistent with the Board’s Governing Policies and Procedures. The Board’s chief academic officer, under the direction of the chairperson, prepares the agenda for the Instruction, Research and Student Affairs Committee work that is under consideration at each meeting of the Board.