What is the Rural and Underserved Educator Incentive Program?
The Rural and Underserved Educator Incentive Program is for educators teaching in a rural and/or underserved school district or public charter school. The program will provide for the direct repayment of educational loans or the reimbursement of eligible educational expenses such as additional degrees, advanced degrees, career technical certifications, or other educational expenses. Other educational expenses may be defined as course fees, lab fees, required course equipment, course related expenses such as books and/or supplies, and/or transcription fees. A rural and underserved educator is eligible for loan repayment assistance or eligible educational expenses for up to four years, provide that the educator remains employed at the same school or by the same district.
The total incentive award is as follows:
- One thousand five hundred dollars ($1,500) for the first year;
- Two thousand five hundred dollars ($2,500) for the second year;
- Three thousand five hundred dollars ($3,500) for the third year;
- Four thousand five hundred dollars ($4,500) for the fourth year.
Who is eligible for the funds?
Full-time, standard certified individual employed as an instructional or pupil service staff in an eligible Idaho school district or public charter school.
- Has signed a contract with such school
- Working in a school that qualifies with the critical quality educator Shortage criteria:
- Rural Isolation of the school pursuant to § 33-319, Idaho Code; or
- Economic disadvantage of the school based on eligibility for funds pursuant to Title I, part A of the federal elementary and secondary education act, as amended.
- Has an educational loan that is not in default and that has a minimum unpaid current balance of at least one thousand dollars ($1,000) or at least one thousand dollars ($1,000) in eligible education expenses at the time of application
What is the application process?
- Submit an application to the Office of the State Board of Education
- The application link is coming soon
- For loan repayment applications, the application must include official verification or proof of the applicant’s total unpaid accumulated educational loan dept and any other documentation for verification of the applicant’s eligibility.
- The applications will be reviewed and scored using a rubric. The Office of the State Board will use the results to determine the applicants selected for the Rural and Underserved Educator Incentive Program.
- The applicants selected for the Rural and Underserved Educator Incentive Program will be notified via email.