Private Colleges – Degree Granting


Private colleges and universities are postsecondary institutions that are accredited and authorized to grant degrees in the State of Idaho.

The State of Idaho requires private postsecondary educational institutions maintaining a presence in the State of Idaho or operating from a location within the State of Idaho to register with the State Board of Education annually, unless specifically exempted. The following institutions have been exempted pursuant to IDAPA Brigham Young University – Idaho, College of Idaho, Northwest Nazarene University, New Saint Andrews College and Boise Bible College.

Private postsecondary educational institutions must be accredited by an organization recognized by the Idaho State Board of Education pursuant to IDAPA, Recognition of Accreditation Organizations..

Registration and operation requirements are found in Idaho Code, Title 33, Chapter 24, Postsecondary and Proprietary Schools and Idaho Administrative Rule 08.01.11, Registration of Postsecondary Educational Institutions.

Registration Form

New applications may be submitted at any time.
Registration renewals are due on the first business day of May, mail the original signed form and registration fee to:

Office of the State Board Of Education
Attn: Private Postsecondary & Proprietary Schools
P.O. Box 83720
650 W. State Street, Suite 307
Boise, ID 83720-0037

Registered College Listing

Current listing of private postsecondary institutions registered with the Idaho State Board of Education.

Consumer Information

Know the facts before investing in your private postsecondary education.

Student Complaint Procedures

Students are encouraged to work through their school's internal grievance process to resolve any school disputes. If after completion of that process the issues have not been resolved, students may file an appeal with an appropriate agency.