Recognizing the need for a well-educated workforce, Governor C.L. “Butch” Otter and the Idaho Legislature established the Opportunity Scholarship to remove barriers to higher education and prepare college/university graduates to enter the workforce. The Opportunity Scholarship awards eligible applicants up to $3,500 per academic year and is renewable for up to four years.
The scholarship funds are available per school year; recipients must renew each year and are eligible to receive the scholarship for a maximum of four years.
To qualify for the scholarship, a student must meet all of the following criteria:
- Have an unweighted, cumulative GPA of 2.5 or above
- Be an Idaho resident
- Graduate or will graduate from an Idaho high school or its equivalent or Idaho home school (GED/HSE from Idaho)
- Must be working towards their undergraduate degree or certificate, up to a first bachelor’s degree
- Must have earned at least 24 postsecondary credits before a cease in enrollment
- Must not be currently enrolled, must not have completed more than 2 classes in the last 24 months
- FAFSA Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid by the application deadline
- Maintain satisfactory academic progress for financial aid purposes. (See program rules for more details.)
- Must attend one of these eligible Idaho colleges or universities at least part-time:
- Boise State University
- Brigham Young University – Idaho
- College of Idaho
- College of Southern Idaho
- College of Western Idaho
- College of Eastern Idaho
- Idaho State University
- Lewis-Clark State College
- North Idaho College
- Northwest Nazarene University
- University of Idaho
- Western Governors University
For further details on eligibility and program administration please see the following links:
Idaho Statute Title 33 – Education, Chapter 43 – Scholarships
Idaho Administrative Procedures Act (IDAPA) Rule 08.01.13
Act now to contribute to Idaho’s Opportunity Scholarship Fund. It’s easy!
Are you a taxpayer who would like to help send a student without sufficient financial means to college?
Just check the box on your Idaho tax return designating a portion of your refund to the Opportunity Scholarship. Your donation will help hundreds of Idahoans in their quest for postsecondary education. Higher education leads to better jobs, a stronger economy and a more viable citizenry. Everyone benefits from education. Donations are needed more than ever. Give a fellow Idahoan the opportunity to better themselves and their community through education.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, this application will be provided in alternate form upon request.